Re: advice for blob tables?

This one time, at band camp, colbey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I've been using this one:
>
> http://www.dreamwerx.net/phpforum/?id=1
>
> I developed it in 2001 and it's had implementations into the hundreds of
> gb's so far.  I have a ftp interface to it that runs at wire speed
> (100FDX).  I initially did it the 1 row way, and ran into issues, so I
> implemented this one.

Thats fine, but this is normalization for no real purpose.
You have defined two tables, one for the image and another for the metadata
but the relationship is one-to-one which makes it rather redundant except if
you wish to store different amounts of metadata per image.

You also state
"How about NFS/SMB network shares? That's not a bad idea either but not without it's problems"

Whilst I am an advocate of binary storage, there is no real issue I see with NFS/SMB particularly
NFSv4 (supports file locking which I like) or GFS2.

Cluster file system works quite well.. but I digress.

I find all sorts of injection issues surrounding statements such as
$SQL = "select * from file where id = " . $_GET["id"]
in the tutorial you mention, not that this is a production ready script, it just makes me
nervouse when newbies replicate this.

Kind regards
kevin