Re: CSS vs. Tables OT

At 11:36 PM -0500 4/18/07, Richard Lynch wrote:
But I don't think we're going to reach that Utopia where IE and FF
actually follow the standards in the same ways well enough to get out
of this CSS hack nightmare.

Well, as long as the old IE browsers are being used, then we'll continue to have problems. But even those problems can be solved. True, some requires "hacks" BUT that's a good thing that we can use the code to solve the problems. To me, that's not a "hack", but rather a solution.

And I don't see the CSS spec author folks really addressing some
fundamental problems that real-world designers need addressed so they
can get the layouts they want.

I disagree. The CSS folks have solved hundreds of different types of layouts and have provided the techniques to solve almost any problem imaginable. Plus, they have been foremost in promoting a completely new medium -- these people have done wonders!

Whether they *ought* to want those layouts, or whether they are good
layouts for websites is arguable, but there it is... The CSS folks
don't seem to be addressing the needs of their Designer user-base,
afaics...

IF there is a problem, it is that the designers aren't taking the time to look at what's available. If a designer wants a two column layout with a footer, side bar, header and is liquid -- it's there! If the designer wants a static "keep to the top left corner of the browser window" three column with only a header -- it's there too! In fact, I may be going out on a limb here, but I challenge anyone to describe a layout that isn't covered.

I'm hoping "some day" (soon) this will all be worked out all nicey-nice.

Similar to most php questions posted here, all one has to do is look.

Cheers,

tedd
--
-------