Re: CSS vs. Tables OT

At 4/17/2007 07:54 PM, Robert Cummings wrote:
You say "Using tables for layout *is* a hack".

I believe what he meant was that using tables for layout of non-tabular data is a hack.

tables were intended for laying out tabular data.

This is an interesting assertion. Perhaps it would be a good question for Tim Berners-Lee. Was table markup intended to mark up tabular data or to lay it out? I imagine that HyperText Markup Language was intended to mark up information and that browsers were intended to present it. That sort of fits with the situation today in which we all use the same markup language that's presented somewhat differently from browser to browser. Is it possible that back in those first years of the world wide web no one was making a distinction between markup and layout? Hmm.

Regards,

Paul