Re: Using PHP files from Ajax and from other PHP files

On Tue, April 17, 2007 4:00 pm, Otto Wyss wrote:
> I want move all database access into separate PHP files so I could use
> these files either through an Ajax call from the client or in another
> PHP files (require_once) on the server. Is this possible? What
> interface
>   would be needed? Has anybody else tried something similar?

Putting all your database functions into one file that can be
include'd from your web application or from your AJAX response scripts
seems like a reasonable thing to me.

Go for it.

> Since I plan use Json as the data format for Ajax what overhead would
> that mean to decode again already Json encoded result if used on the
> server? Is there a workaround for Json in case of Ajax but none when
> using in other PHP files?

Whatever overhead there is to JSON encode/decode, the alternative of
not decoding/encoding correctly is not an option...

I doubt that it's a significant performance bottleneck, at least in
PHP5 where JSON is in C.

If you're in PHP4 with JSON in PHP script code, it could be "slow"

Only you on your hardware in your application with your needs can
determine if "slow" is "too slow" or "acceptable"

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?