Re: Using PHP files from Ajax and from other PHP files

On Apr 17, 2007, at 4:00 PM, Otto Wyss wrote:

I want move all database access into separate PHP files so I could use these files either through an Ajax call from the client or in another PHP files (require_once) on the server. Is this possible? What interface would be needed? Has anybody else tried something similar?

Since I plan use Json as the data format for Ajax what overhead would that mean to decode again already Json encoded result if used on the server? Is there a workaround for Json in case of Ajax but none when using in other PHP files?

Sure you can...

Just have a variable set to specify the return format. Something like $_POST['retFormat'] = 'foo'; foo could be json for a JSON return, array for a php file return... whatever you come up with.

Then just process the request based on that value.

Any processing is going to have overhead, and you're going to need some kind of communication layer to allow javascript and php to interact, whether it's JSON or XML or even some kind of other odd format that you come up with yourself. There's no way around it if that's what you want to do.

Try googleing for php+ajax, there's a lot of this stuff out there now.

Ed