Re: isset

Robert Cummings wrote:
On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 09:27 -0700, Jim Lucas wrote:
Stut wrote:
Jim Lucas wrote:
Richard Kurth wrote:
What do you do when isset does not work? If I send data in a
$_REQUEST['var'] like if (isset($_REQUEST['var'])) {
}
Put var has no data it still says it is set. Because $_REQUEST['var'] = ""
and isset thinks "" is set

I use this combination a lot:

if ( isset($_GET['something']) && !empty($_GET['something']) ) {
    // do something here with $_GET['something']
}
The isset is a pointless waste of cycles.

-Stut

well, as the OP said, he wants to know when the variable has a value other the "".

So, to check for that you have to do something like this right?

	if ( $var != '' ) {}
	if ( strlen($var) > 0 ) {}
	if ( !empty($var) ) {}
	... a number of other ideas come to mind, but

none of them will work, because they will always product a E_NOTICE warning.

You COULD always use empty() prefixed with an @ to quiet the E_NOTICE,

Stut wouldn't do that... especially not after calling isset() a waste of
cycles. using the @ to suppress warnings/errors still invokes the error
system, and that includes any error handler you've custom hooked.

Maybe Stut just writes bad code ;) ;)

I'm thinking I just know some parts of the language better than you lot. You guys really should try reading the manual before responding instead of just assuming it's the way you think it is.

As far as my coding style goes, that's between me and my $DEITY, but let it be noted that even my production servers run with error_reporting as E_ALL (but logged to files and not displayed obviously). Knowing how isset and empty work is essential to enabling my style of coding PHP, which I've found works very well for me.

-Stut