Re: Dreamhost! PHP as CGI!???

Hi Tijnema! Thanks for the quick reply, I really appreciate the help. :)

Tijnema ! wrote:
Google tells me that it is an optional feature to run PHP as CGI,
default it is running under apache. Atleast that's what i found for
dreamhost.

Ah, from what I am reading, it sounds like that used to be the option, and may still be a feature for older users... but (from what I understand, which is not much) PHP 5 is CGI only:

"DreamHost currently allows several PHP configurations. In the user Control Panel you can choose between PHP4 and PHP5 running as a CGI application (with optional FastCGI support). While it's no longer officially supported you currently still have the possibility to have PHP running as an Apache module (mod_php).

Finally you have the option to compile your own custom PHP with the exact version of PHP you wish and with any module you require."
<http://php.dreamhosters.com/>

Hmmm, I guess it sounds like I can setup things to use the Apache module, but they make it sound so evil:

"If one of those is a show-stopper for you, you can easily switch to running PHP as an Apache module and not CGI, but be prepared for a bunch of potential security and ease-of-use issues!"
<http://blog.dreamhosters.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=2933>

Looks like I have a ton of reading to do... Unfortunately I am more of a designer than I am a system administrator... so not sure if messing with PHP on my DH account is worth the headache. :(

I have just had bad experiences in past with PHP as CGI... Not fun.

Lol, well... Thanks Tijnema! I really appreciate your help on this one. ;)

Have a great day/night!
Cheers,

Wishlists: <http://snipurl.com/vrs9>
   Switch: <http://browsehappy.com/>