Re: Posting a variable

On Wed, April 11, 2007 9:58 pm, Robert Cummings wrote:
> The table fields should have been named well enough in the first
> place.

Some are not fields at all, but calculations, and, yes, I'll have an "
AS foo" in my SQL (only not really foo, of course) simply for
documentation purposes, even though I'm not using _assoc, because I
want to know what the heck that calculation is a month later.

> If you don't want the baggage or you're using the variable so much
> that
> it warrants an elimination of array access overhead then why not use
> the
> more concise extract()?
>
> <?php
>
>     extract( mysql_fetch_assoc() )
>
> ?>

[shudder]

I amy not *want* the exact same name as the table fields in every
case, if I have the same name in the SQL in two tables.

And, yes, I could use even more " AS foo " (only not foo) a whole lot
more...

But, really, something like:

select id, name from option_list_foo order by rank
select id, name from option_list_bar order by rank
select id, name from option_list_baz order by rank
.
.
.

for a bunch of User Profile popups, I don't really want to have to do
a bunch of AS and then an extract, and rely on remembering the AS from
section to section.

For some reason, I do much better at remembering PHP variable names
than SQL column AS names.

> Yes, yes, I know some idiot out there will clobber their vars *lol* --
> or not clobber their vars as necessary *grin*. Either way, list()'ing
> out all the fields you've already declared in the query (or that are
> implied) or directly pulling out to a var using assignment is just
> code
> in two places that could be in one.

You see it as the same thing in two places.

I see it as two different things being matched up in a clear
unequivocal manner, to make self-documenting code.

[shrug]

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?