Re: Idea/Suggestion for PHP App

On Thu, April 5, 2007 2:35 pm, Eric Butera wrote:
> On 4/5/07, straderb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <straderb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hey... I am new to the list so please forgive me if I say anything
>> that might have already been discussed.  So here we go...
>>
>> OK I am attempting to start a new application using PHP.  I have
>> started and stoped this application now 2 times cause I get moving
>> then I stop realizing I should have done this work before hand and
>> in a differant way.  I was wondering does anyone have any places I
>> can read on how develope a PHP Web application like what area should
>> I start with first, what are somethings I need to think about before
>> hand.  The application I am working on is Database driven app.  It
>> will have data inserted into the DB from various data sources that
>> are manually entered.
>>
>> However I need to develope the app as dynamic as possible for future
>> add-ons... I know I am probably biting off more then I can chew at
>> this time... So any pointers or exampled (which would be great) on
>> how to start an app from scratch and also how to use OOP (Which I
>> have a feeling is what I need to learn) would be wonderful.  Thank
>> you all for any help you can provide.

I would add that sometimes it's better to just finish the dang thing
the "wrong" way before you start a total re-write, just because you
found a "better" way...

I guess the crux of the matter is how useful it will be to have it
running the "wrong" way, how hard it will be to upgrade it to the
right way, and how much longer it will take to just put a fork in it
and call it done instead of starting over.

Only time and experience can make you balance those correctly...

But no website is ever "finished" and no PHP web application is every
done "correctly"

So you may be being too hard on yourself...

Or not.

Hard to say, without seeing what the "before" and "after" were.

Just don't get so discouraged that you're not using the be-all end-all
nifty PHP stuff you just discovered this time around -- File it for
the version 2 and move on with life, if that's more appropriate that
starting over.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?