Re: Audio CAPTCHA review request

At 6:36 PM -0400 4/5/07, Robert Cummings wrote:
But still, relying on Javascript is a bit flakey IMHO.

There's nothing wrong with javascript -- you just need to know it's limitations.

My audio captcha relies on javascript, namely ajax. The problem I had was how to deliver the sound once the user requested it from the main page. I used <bgsound> and <embed> tags to accomplish that after browser sniffing. However, those tags had to be in a new page to play, which required a refresh. After that, the user had to be sent back to the main page to enter the key, which required another refresh. A screen reader will re-read each page out-loud upon each refresh and that was unacceptable.

So, I used ajax to change the main page without a refresh using an iframe tag. That way the sound file was played without refreshing anything. I thought that clever. :-)

In this case, there was no way to get around using javascript. However, that's not a problem for visually impaired users nor is it a security issue.