Re: Audio CAPTCHA review request

On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 18:14 -0400, tedd wrote:
> Rob:
>
> Okay, nothing wrong with playing devil's advocate. I open to discussion.
>
> Note, that some of my blind testers report that there are ways for
> them to move a mouse -- but I haven't a clue as to how they do it or
> what they "see".
>
> However, I don't see how adding javascript to move the mouse around
> presents a security issue -- can anyone explain? As I see it,
> server-side can still filter out what's input. In the end, it's
> either right or not.

Part of the problem is relying on Javascript since many people don't
enable it. Additionally it's not found in terminal system. I can't say
how many times I've been stuck in a server room without a graphical
desktop and all I've had is links or lynx to jump on some stupid
manufacturer's site that decided to obliterate their pages by making
pages only accessible via Javascript. I mean, for the blind people in
your example you could easily generate a sound when the mouse passes
over the appropriate area, thus they would have an audible cue to aid.
But still, relying on Javascript is a bit flakey IMHO. Perhaps using two
combined systems... more traditional obscured writing on image captcha,
or a simple mathematical question for texties, or the system you
presented with an audible ding for blind people to know they are within
the field of success.

Cheers,
Rob.