Re: Parsing database variables

Jake McHenry wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have been searching and trying to do this for the past hour without
success yet....

I have a database table with this in it:

Period Ending Date: $ppe<p>
Etc.......

And in my script, these variables exist and have values. Is there a way for
me to get the output from mysql_query to use the current script variables in
place of the same variable name within the database output?

Thanks,
Jake

If I read the manual correct about how to setup the input values for str_replace()
you should be able to do the following.

This is completely untested, since I have now system like yours.  But here is goes...

#setup the entries that you want to find.
$find[] = '$name';
$find[] = '$ppe';

#setup the values to be replaced.
#Mind you to keep the indexes the in sync with $find...
$replace[] = $name;
$replace[] = $ppe;

echo '<pre>';

while ( $row = mysql_fetch_assoc($resultHandle) ) {

	$row = str_replace($find, $replace, $row);

	// do something with $row.  Display it maybe...

	var_dump($row);

}

echo '</pre>';

Basically replace $find[0] with $replace[0] in any of the values of the return $row then replace the previous $row values with the newly modified values... Then go to the next index of $find[1] and $replace[1] and do the same thing until you are out of indexes.

But this is a much better way of doing this than using eval().  eval is an evil little function!

--
Enjoy,

Jim Lucas

Different eyes see different things. Different hearts beat on different strings. But there are times for you and me when all such things agree.

- Rush