FastCGI + PHP5

Hi all.

anyone using FastCGI + PHP + Apache 1.3. ?
I've been trying for two days and i can't seem to configure apache with php fastcgi.

i have php set with:

../configure --enable-fastcgi \
--enable-discard-path \
--enable-force-cgi-redirect \
--with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql \
--with-xml \
--with-gd \
--with-freetype-dir=/usr/lib \
--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/lib \
--with-png-dir=/usr/lib \
--with-xpm --enable-magic-quotes \
--with-pear \
--enable-gd-native-ttf \
--enable-memory-limit \
--with-zlib

that seems to be ok, php is running as (cgi-fcgi).
my problem is getting apache to run php cgi.

anyone have any decent docs getting the config working? i guess not many people using FastCGI w/PHP because it's seems so complicated to setup. btw i have already installed the fastcgi libs and mod_fastcgi. what should an apache configure line look like when you complie php/fastcgi with it.. am i suppose to install apache first? some people say you have to install apache first but if you install apache first how will it locate the php libs?