Re: Environment variables in php.ini

Abdullah Ramazanoglu wrote:
Hello,

I have a Linux shared hosting environment with PHP running over CGI. With
CGI I can't use httpd.conf or .htaccess files for PHP related parameters,
so all the parameters should be given in one central php.ini file, AFAIK.
So how can I give parameters, in effect, like the ones below?

error_log = $HOME/php_error.log
session.referer_check = $DOMAIN_NAME
open_basedir = "$HOME:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp"
session.save_path = $HOME/sessions

With PHP module SAPI I would have overridden them in httpd.conf VirtualHost
directive with hard coded values. There, I don't have to use variables as
every vhost has its own VirtualHost section. But I don't know how to do it
(or if it is possible at all) in CGI mode.

Actually I did find a raw solution: Put a custom php.ini in each virtual
host's Doc_Root. But I don't really want to allow virtual hosts each
having a custom php.ini in their home directories, as that solution has
several serious drawbacks, like:
- No server/security policies can be enforced,
- An intruder can change the local php.ini and remove all the security
measures,
- Hundreds of php.ini files strewn around can easily lead to chaos,
- etc.

Is it possible at all to use environment variables in php.ini, or is there
any other solution to the problem above?

Thank you.

Read this:

http://us3.php.net/manual/en/configuration.php#configuration.file

You can put a file in any other these locations that will be read by the cgi when it is started.

my suggestion would be to use a single php.ini file in a global location. Then symlink a php.ini to there home directory or web root.

Then set perms on the single global file such that only you can write to it, but everybody can read it. This should work for you.

--
Enjoy,

Jim Lucas

Different eyes see different things. Different hearts beat on different strings. But there are times for you and me when all such things agree.

- Rush