Re: Alternative/Addition to using a CAPTCHA

I read something (I think on Slashdot) a while back about another method
that could be used to avoid CAPTCHAs.

Basically on top of your standard form field, you place some input fields in
a javascript hidden div around your page conveniently named things like
"email", "address", or "phone." Because they're hidden, when the form
submits they should exist as post variables but have a value untouched by
the user.

Something simple like
<input type="text" name="phonenumber" id="phonenumber" />

Then <body onload="hideSpamCatcher()">

A spam bot will generally send a value with every field they come across,
especially ones that have really common form field names. They find these
fields by parsing through your source for anything that looks like it's
submitted. If you hid some "trick" fields around your page and then checked
on submit whether or not they had a value, you could probably get a pretty
decent turing test without the user suspecting anything.

My old thrown together blog from a few years back had an unchecked comment
script that caught quite a bit of spam once I stopped caring about it. I've
been considering putting that back together and using this method just to
see if the spam is cut back at all.

Anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with this method?