Gnome and MIME types

I'm having a hard time getting solid MIME Types of various files.

On my Ubuntu/Apache2/PHP5 system, I first attempted to install
fileInfo. That didn't go so well (on Safari even running "$finfo =
finfo_open(FILEINFO_MIME);" causes it to complain that it lost the
network connection; Firefox prompts me to download the file_ and
seeing as it is not really ready for release, I thought I should stay
away from that.

I then tried running "system("file -i -m /usr/share/docs/mim file")"
which worked, but file doens't provide very good mime types -- all
Microsoft Office Documents returned nothing, for example.

I then stumbled upon gnomevfs-info that provided the information I
wanted. I don't know what mime database it is using (couldn't find it)
but it sure seemed more complete than anything else I had used.

Problem is, I can't seem to run it from within a PHP script (system,
exec, etc). I used the full path (/usr/bin/gnamevfs-info) so I don't
believe that to be the problem, and the page has no errors (I am using
error_reporting(E_ALL)).

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!

Nate