Re: Name Capitalization

On 3/24/07, Paul Novitski <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 3/23/2007 07:27 PM, Richard Lynch wrote:
> > In this case, the OP has an existing list of names he wants to
> > de-capitalize, not an ongoing stream of new names from people who
> > might be trained.
>
>The solution remains:
>
>Hire a human.
>
>The computer will never get accurate enough.
>
>The exception might be if you are dealing with MILLIONS of names,
>where a filter would pay off.  You'd still need human review and a
>validation process that involved human oversight to a significant
>percentage.
>
>I do not think the OP has millions of names.

Richard,

If you'd take the time to read this thread, you'll see that many of
us have pointed out the impossibility of correcting name
capitalization 100%.  You'll also see that the OP has indicated that
even an imperfect solution with capitalization errors would be better
in his situation than the current all-caps condition of the list, and
that therefore a software solution would be helpful.

There is usually more than one solution to a given problem.  In this
case, as in many others, there appears to be an inverse relation
between cost and error rate.  Depending on goals and budgets, one may
choose a higher error rate and a lesser cost over a smaller error
rate at a higher cost.

In this particular case, it's my opinion that even human operators
would not be able to reduce the error rate to zero unless one could
afford to pay them to contact some of the people individually to find
out how they spell their names.  There simply are no rules that apply
across the board, whether applied by machine or flesh.  Anything but
personal interviews is just informed guesswork.

Regards,

Paul

Sure, even a human can't know if the name should be MacDonald or
Macdonald, McDonald or Mcdonald. Unless of course he's contacting the
one who entered this name.

Tijnema