Re: Random Unique ID

IIRC, the OP wanted to generate a unique key precisely to keep from
revealing the record ID to the end user... what about taking the
auto_increment value (easy to generate, assured to be unique) adding its
MD5 hash to another column in the table, then using that as the
"published" ID?

The only disadvantage I see is that the MD5 hash isn't very
human-friendly, so using it for an account or member number, or something
like that the user might have to write down or read to a customer service
rep on the phone, might be difficult.

-Jim