Alternatives to PHPLib for authentication, session management, etc

Hi.

Been using PHP since the 2.0 days, and been using PHPLib since 2000 as the main method of user authentication (logging in/out during same session), and simultaneously use it to give the users who are logged in different permissions.

Since PHPLib has long ago stopped (at least in my opinion) active development, I am wondering what other systems people use to deal with authentication and permission levels.

I'd love to hear about complete libraries/methods that I could use as a replacement for PHPLib with the minimum of fuss.

As an example, in the pages I do NOT want to protect, I merely need to create a variable: $AUTHENTICATION = "off";
and my global includes check for that:

if ($AUTHENTICATION != "off") {
   page_open(
      array("sess" => "Example_Session",
            "auth" => "Example_Auth",
            "perm" => "Example_Perm"));
}

Which causes PHPLib authentication to be ignored for that page. Every other page authenticates via the page_open() function. PHPLib does it all behind the scenes....which makes it very easy.

So, basically I'm looking for a system that works better than what I've got w/ PHPLib, that will be fairly easy to maintain -- as well as drop-in as a replacement in the 100s of websites that I've developed that use that authentication scheme.

Thanks in advance,
mark