Re: Random Unique ID

At 9:15 AM +0100 3/23/07, Németh Zoltán wrote:
2007. 03. 22, csütörtök keltezéssel 12.58-kor tedd ezt írta:
 At 4:53 PM +0100 3/22/07, Németh Zoltán wrote:
 >2007. 03. 22, csütörtök keltezéssel 11.42-kor tedd ezt írta:
 >
> > As for efficiency, that's probably not even worth mentioning in this case.
 >
 >why not? you would use 2 sql queries while I would use one most of the
 >time and 2 in case of already reserved ID - that is almost twice as much
 >processor time
 >that may count much if the routine is used frequently

 Go ahead, try it, and tell me how much time it cost.

 From experience, there are things one can spend
 their time optimizing and there are other things
 that one should be able to see that aren't worth
 pursing.

I've been wrong before, but you're open to prove me wrong again, if you like.

okay, I've got up earlier and made a little benchmark. The result
suprised me, and proved you right. ;)

Németh:

Thanks for trying, but I said what I did because I knew from experience that these types of actions are blinding fast and getting faster all the time.

I'm not suggesting to dispense with looking for less operations, but sometimes the effort doesn't exceed other benefits in readability, easier logic, simpler code, and time spent developing code. We have been rather slow to realize changes the speed and memory of hardware.

For example, we recently had a discussion on the difference between using "<?" as compared to "<?php" and the additional text was mentioned as a "concern". When in fact, if is of no noticeable or significant concern at all. It's like discussing a grain of sand on the beach.

Not that you did this, but sometimes it's best to figure out what's important and what's not before making it an issue.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------