Re: Creating an FTP account on the fly from PHP

On 3/23/07, Travis Doherty <travis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
PHP Fusebox wrote:

> I built a CMS that lets a super user create and manage basic users
> (among lots of other things). I want basic users to get an FTP account
> that is automatically associated with their website user account, and
> managed from my add/edit user form. For example if I create a user
> named fred032@xxxxxxxxxxxx for him to login to my web app, I want my
> users to be able to use their same login name and password to access
> their web folder via FTP.
>
> I am running on LAMP on a CPanel server with ProFTP as the FTP server
> software, but I have no clue how to get PHP to be able to create,
> edit, or delete an FTP account. Can someone point me in the right
> direction?

ProFTPd?  It can authenticate against MySQL tables...  It gets
authentication from your database.  We used to do this many many years
ago... It worked fine and was probably choke full of security problems.

Setting up ProFTPd for MySQL authentication was a pain, I'm sure its
easier today.  Once you have that setup, its just a simple matter of
CRUD SQL queries.

Travis Doherty
CPanel automatically installs server software, and also configures
them. So to let it work with the current system, you need to know how
it works now :)

Tijnema