RE: Question before upgrading to 5

 I'll think about it.. We only use php for intranet applications I create,
so the server is basically dead at nights, which is when I do most of my
work.....

> Jake McHenry wrote:
> > I don't want 2 instances of apache running,  your over
> thinking this... I
>
> whatever, I guess we have different opinions about trying to
> do things 'properly'.
>

> > only asked if I need to change only the prefix, or if there
> is anything
> > else, to get both php versions installed.
>
> so you have 2 versions of php installed. you can't run the
> apache module of both
> version simultaneously. so your going to shut down apache on
> a production box
> and then fiddle the config to run with the php5 module and
> bring it back up.

The original config is from OS installation, so who knows what I could mess
up by doing this, this is why I'm asking, cause I don't want to screw up
php, apache would be just more to add on to it....

> then what? you hope that all your sites/code runs okay with
> php5? if it doesn't
> you can only fix it if you keep running with the broken sites
> on php5 otherwise you
> can only unfiddle the config and stick with php4. no?

Its only 1 line in httpd.conf, just change from php4 module to php5
module..... Not that big of a deal....

> > Once I see my scripts are working
> > ok, or not, I'll be getting rid of php4. I'm not running a
> dev machine, this
> > is production, and the only one I have currently,
>
> you might consider that the machine whose screen your looking
> at whilst reading this
> is a perfectly good dev machine - you seem to on a windows
> PC, which of itself is not
> a problem in terms of setting up a dev environment that
> suitably mirrors the apache/php/DB
> configuration of your production server but you may have
> issues with 'your' php code itself
> depending the [OS] portability of the code.

Most of my stuff works on windows too, but some of the earlier scripts
accessing files don't work,, I've already considered moving the site to my
desktop while I upgrade the server.. But no........

> given that the server in question is a production server
> there is even more reason to
> not disrupt service whilst testing your code on php5 - which
> is exactly what a second
> [temporary, custom] install of apache would allow you to do.
> sure it's a bit more work
> but it's also more professional - it means you can update the
> 'real' apache to run php5
> in the safe knowledge that it will *work* with only a few
> seconds of down time whilst
> you restart the webserver process.
>
> > my backup died last week
> > and I haven't gotten the parts for it yet. Is prefix the
> only option I need
> > to change? Or do I need to change these too?
>
> no just change prefix. (although I'm not 100% sure about
> localstatedir - I have never touched myself
> and I do run various machines that have php4 and php5
> installed [compiled by hand as you are doing])
>
> btw - installing a second apache is rather the same as
> installing a second copy of
> php in so far as you can also specify a custom prefix to have
> it install (and read it's config)
> from some other place - so as not to interfere with the
> production apache.

As long as I use prefix, all of these options point to
/prefix/otheroptiondirectories     correct? Making prefix the root? So in
the OS installation of PHP and httpd, that's why it left prefix blank, and
put in the values below..... So with the config the way it is now... It
would overwrite php4 and I would really be screwed...