Re: Re: Random Unique ID

Actually.... I told you that the possibility of collision is small because I
wanted to be scientific....
Scientifically, I can say this posibilty goes to 0...
It is a random ID (not a totally random but based on the current timestamp)
generated not only once but twice based on two different time stamps.....

Safe enough I believe...

Regards,
Rabih G. Tayyem

On 3/22/07, Jim Moseby <JMoseby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Rabih Tayyem writes:
>
> > PS: I don't take credit for the code as it is a modified version of
> > a code I found long time back (this same code is running on one of
> > my applications for months without any problem)..
>
> Thanks.  I'll find use for that!
>
> However, altho I know that by making the random number big enough
> the likelyhood of collisions can be made vanishingly small, I was
> actually concerned with eliminating the possibility of collisions
> altogether by checking to see if the number had been used before.
>
> I just don't know how to do that properly with Mysql.  Perhaps it
> is necessary to lock to table, check, make the insert and then
> unlock it.  But I was hoping that there would be a simpler way.

Replied off-list with a solution.

JM