Re: Re: Question

Richard Lynch wrote:
On Tue, March 20, 2007 3:31 pm, Dan Shirah wrote:
Because in my application it is VERY VERY VERY important that I track
the
specific details for any given user in any given account.  The user
data
changes frequently and I need to be able to track user information
changes,
numbers of accounts they are assigned to etc.

So rather than updating the user information or keeping one user and
tying
them to multiple accounts it is easier to maintain a specific user per
account for our strict tracking needs.

This way I can view all accounts the user is associated with, track
user
information changes over months/years and provide detailed statsical
reports
to auditors.

You're making a pig's breakfast of things here...

If there is stuff about a "user" that changes from "account" to
"account" then that stuff is not REALLY about the "user" at all.

It's about that user's relationship to that account.

And it doesn't belong in the user table at all.

It belongs in the user_account_table  -- the link table we are
recommending you use.

I guarantee you that you will be extremely frustrated with your system
if you go down the path you are thinking of now...

He might be fine with it even in the end, but I can bet that the users are going to wonder, 'Well, I changed my password the last time I logged into Account #1, but when I try and log in now, it says my password is invalid..."

That they may not realize, is that they have different logins for each account that they log into. Now they have to login to each account and change there password.

Or even better, they call you and ask you to update their password because they forgot it.

This is just one piece of your pie that might not taste to good once you start eating it...