Re: LAMP Opportunity

Prestigious Online NY Based News Paper is seeking a solid *LAMP (see
definition of LAMP below) developer to work as part of
A team to architect and build the software that helps the online
newspaper function as a site with an unparalleled combination of scale
and complexity. The successful candidate is enthusiastic about building
out the content offerings and dynamic features of the site and has done
significant web programming in the Unix environment.

Did you know that were I work, plain old key value pairs sent over
HTTP is not enterprisey enough?   They blame it for application
problems rather than their crap AIX/JSP implementation.  Now they want
to convert it to soap/webmethods!  ARRRRRRGH, who subscribed them to
infoweek!!!

Responsibilities:
* * Writing application and related database objects to enable users*
* dynamic interaction with the web site

Ummmm, I can just smell the AJAX talk...

* Integrating a diverse set of data sources including related databases,
search engines, and XML data

y = integral from 1 to infinity of x /dXml

* Integrating feeds from 3rd parties into the nytimes.com content
management system

Do you have all the contracts in place so you don't get sued for
copyright infringement?  I heard that viacom, riaa, and mpaa are
always looking for a new source of income.

The ideal candidate must have high standards with regard to the finished
product and must be concerned about the quality and
maintainability of the underlying software. In addition, the ideal
candidate possess the ability to design systems, communicate and
work effectively with others, write scalable and high quality code, and
deliver work on schedule.

Well, that leaves me out.  I could care less...

Necessary skills:
* B.S./B.A. in Computer Science or a degree in a related field plus
Computer Science coursework

I got the BS part right.

* 3-6 years web development work experience

I wrote a web page 6 years ago.  Just yesterday I updated it.  Does that count.

* Unix proficiency

I can FSCK right up there with the rest of them.

* Experience with one or more scripting languages such as Perl, PHP and
Python

What do snakes have to do with it?

* Strong working knowledge of RDBMS, SQL and basic database
optimization concepts

The M in LAMP stands for mysql, I'm not sure this counts.

* Experience working with XML, XSL, XPath

and other things starting with X.

* Comfort with Regular Expressions

Sounds kinky!

* Ability to communicate effectively with business side clients to
gather and translate functional specs

Ability to translate BS into gibberish.

* Working knowledge of HTML, Javascript

I thought you wanted 3-6 years?  You just need working knowledge?

* Experience working as part of a team

Me, myself and I.

* Strong verbal and written communication skills

Duhhhhhh, like wow!  Dude I can so rap up the suits.

Desired skills:
* Formal software development methodology

You're talking LAMP, remember.

* Experience writing shared and reusable components of code

Stop it your scaring me.

* Experience designing and tuning applications that can scale

I have other uses for scales.

* Some background in a structured programming language, such as Java or
C/C++

How about turtle graphics?  It is pretty structured.

* Oracle-specific SQL, PL/SQL

Wait, there is no O in LAMP.

* Use of source control

cp myprogram.php myprogramv1.php, check.

*Short for Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP, an open-source Web development
platform that uses Linux as the operating system, Apache as the Web
server, MySQL as the RDBMS and PHP as the object-oriented scripting
language. Perl or Python is often substituted for PHP. LAMP has become a
de facto development standard.

Are you sure this is a real job, you didn't once mention AJAX.