Re: db query not working

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jochem Maas" <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Satyam wrote:
I saw two people pointing two errors on the SQL insert statement which
you would have found yourself had you put the 'or die()' at the end of
the query, as someone else suggested.  Do never leave any query without
the 'or die()' after it (or any other means to check if mysql_query
returns anything not false).  This would have saved lots of your time,
our time, everybody's bandwidth and would avoid your asking everybody
again for the next error you make.  We all make errors, none of us is
above that, that's why, at least in my case, I never fail to add the or
die() at the end.  That's why the developers of function libraries have
put some means of reporting errors back.  It takes time for providing
good error reporting.  You are wasting that effort as well.

Do you deserve all this speech?

yes. no error checking, no attempt at self improvement and above all
no patience when it comes to waiting for an answer.

I call 'ballistic' code: code you have no control over once it launches.
Guided missiles are far better.

might I suggest that the word 'better' shouldn't be used to describe any kind of missile other than a decommissioned one. 'better' ways of killing people are things generally only sought after by fundamentalists, arms-industry employees and megalomaniacs (it just springs to mind that a certain leader of the [not so]
free world could happily sit in any of those categories)

My apologies, it was not a happy comparison.

gun analogies suck almost as much as guns, as opposed to good old rant, which, as long as they're not combined with guns are fairly harmless and quite often informative.

Anyway, you got it because I had time
to rant about this.

we make time to rant ;-)

It is an old guy thing, at least in my case (trivia: I was born the day after the ENIAC was turned off)