Re: Re: how to display images stored in DB*

>> It is funny, but most people don't get the fact that SQL databases are
>> not
>> the best way to store data. They are designed to select algebraic
>> relationships from a data set. They are designed to ensure accuracy of
>> the
>> relationships and the integrity of the data.
>
> Like blobs in separate files, this is a very old perspective.

Not as old as you may think.

Most databases use fixed block sizes. This, obviously, allows an efficient
buffer caching system. Be it MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite3, etc. BLOBS don't
fit into the blocks well. So, some method must be used to store this data
in a way that does not mess up the nice buffering system.

PostgreSQL uses TOAST, which is kind of cool. It stores large data in a
separate table file. Even allows compression.

MySQL MyISAM, if I recall correctly, stores the binary data in a separate
unique block for blobs.

Oracle still allows you to store BLOBs outside of the tablespace.

> Not to
> say incorrect, but they have evolved into more analytical information
> storage servers in the last 15 years.

People who think the past have no importance in the present are mistaken.
My information was not "old" but your interpretation was "ignorant."