Re: Re: how to display images stored in DB

On Friday 02 March 2007 21:13, tedd wrote:
> At 7:52 PM +0100 3/2/07, Børge Holen wrote:
> >On Thursday 01 March 2007 22:24, Richard Lynch wrote:
> >  > I believe that for a newbie, it would be easier to use the filesystem
> >>
> >>  rather than the DB.
> >
> >THAT on the other hand is BS! not to jerk around with you, but no and HELL
> > no. Storing in the database was the easy way out, I started using the
> > filesystem cuz of both a limitation in a forum AND a few mails from you.
> > But easier... NO.
>
> Børge:
>
> I'm lost.

Yes, I was refering to that the reason Richard gave; that it is easier to use
the filesystem rather than the database to store files.

> As a newbie, is storing an image in a dB a "good" thing or a "bad" thing?

I would say, depends on yer project. In my case; it lean out towards 4000
records, close to 3000 x 2 (cuz of thumbnails) images (be that of any size
beneath 640x480).

Some of Richards earlier statements made me do some rather large forum
applications, wheras I made the images go to the filesystem. Both because I
didn't know how, and wanted each record inserted to hold up 20 images in one
submit, this was the clearly logical solution.

However... 6000 small files (and a sub if obliged) I cannot see one heck of a
good reason NOT to hold storage in a database... Imagine the rotten backup
cyclus.
THAT particlulary mysqldump really make me feel good, each time the cron does
an automated backup!!!

As for answering yer question in a short matter. Good thing...

Keeping track of authenticated users and watermarked images and keeping
regular users at bay, how can we NOT take adventage of this magnificent tool?

Yes I see how hardcore users working for yahoogoogleland and make a dumperload
of money at each project delivery may choose well proved techiques...
BUT HELL, I do help people who asks, last year I got a bottle of Pepsi. No
complaints so far ;D, and btw: I like it fashionable, pretty, swell and
fenomenal not just adequate.

--
---
Børge