RE: operational musings

On Wed, February 28, 2007 3:32 pm, Bob Dusek wrote:
> Is there a well-known bug I'm up against with the IPC socket pair?
> aren't sockets supposed to be two-way communication?

Put it this way...

If my memory serves me correctly, and understanding that I'm talking
about several years of list reading/posting boiled down to a couple
paragraphs, and my memory HAS proven faulty in the past...

I tried to do 2-way sockets and failed, filed a bug report, had it
marked as bogus, and used 2 one-way sockets and went on with life.

Others have posted problems in this same area, switch to 2 one-way
socket, and posted "hey, it works!"

Still others have had problems with sockets just up and dying no
matter what, however, so there is no promise it will work.  Only a
better chance.

I have NO IDEA what the new-fangled socket pair thingie is, how it
works, how it's supposed to work, or if it's even implemented any
different than just 2 one-way sockets, and I'm just asking you to
waste your time doing in PHP what is already failing in C.

But it should take you, what?, 5 minutes to try it and find out if
it's better/worse?  Okay, call it a day by the time you get done
fixing typos and silly mistakes and really get down to a real test.
Plus another 4 days to be convinced it really really works, or that
the failure is consistently bad enough to be a true problem.

For a true check on known problems, surf to http://bugs.php.net

Way better than my memory, that's for sure. :-)

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?