Re: echo text - anti-spam-spider measure

John Taylor-Johnston wrote:
Neat, and thnaks.
How spam-spider-proof is it? I will try this though.
But I will also try it with "mailto:"; in entities as well.
Thanks!
John

<!-- HERE ARE THE ENTITIES -->
<!--ENTITIES ABOVE!-->

Of all the possible methods, entities are the easiest for bots to handle. They just need to decode the entities.

More reliable methods involve using javascript to write out the mailto: tag. Do it in several statements. But even then, some of the smarter spiders will execute simple javascript like that. You can make it better by using onload to execute the javascript which means the spider will need to implement that, which I don't believe they do at the moment.

Of course the best way is to use an image and don't link it. If it's just a way for visitors to contact you, use a contact form. You don't expose the email address and can control it a lot better.

-Stut