gettext online editor?

hello,

for translating our web applications, we use to create an XML file with the labels; one label for each entry; one file for each language.
This let us:
1. create one file (in french) and let someone do the translations
2. provide the 'key users' (admins) of the application a php page that can be used to edit/change these translations
3. include the xml files into our cvs so that changes are managed
4. provide a new language to the application simply by adding the corresponding file
if needed, we can split the file on a functional basis to reduce the amount of data to be loaded.
Most of the time however, we simply have some form labels, feedback messages, menu items : less than 50 labels per page.
So this works very well.

Recently a collegue showed us gettext. As it seems very powerful, the main disadvantage I can see is that translations files are not directly editable. The admin users cannot edit the files and correct/change the translations.
Moreover, we work mainly on windows and I'd rather minimize the number of softwares needed by the developers to do their work (php editor, oci, mysql, mssql clients, cvs, svn, firefox, moz, ie, uml editor, ... so many already!)

So my question is:
do you know if there is any way of editing the gettext translation files from a http page? I mean, without the need to execute a 'compile' (or whatever) action on the webserver.

do you have any comment on translating the applications?
of course gettext seems powerful, with caching an so on. But I really believe the new SimpleXML can load a translation file very quickly, and php offers enough functionalities to do cache of the labels in the current language...

thank you

Vincent