shell_exec, batch files, and IIS on Windows

The manual entry for shell_exec has a comment that notes to execute .bat files with shell_exec, you need to pass the command through cmd.exe with the /c argument. I was wondering if anyone could share some insight on why that is.

I've pretty much verified that this is the case. I can't execute .bat files at all from a Windows 2003 server running IIS. I can locally on my development workstation (XP running Apache). I've tried passing the command through cmd.exe on the server, but some of the commands in the .bat file does not run properly when going through cmd.exe.

I suspect that IIS is a key culprit, but I have nothing concrete. I'd like to take a plausible theory to the IT guys before I request that they install Apache on that box.

Thanks for any insight anyone might have.