Re: PHP + SQL..

On Thu, February 22, 2007 7:53 pm, Liz Kim wrote:
> When I try to get a really long string and print it out on a website,
> it
> tends to stop in the middle of the string.
> Is this some sort of a limitation that I can change?

It's probably a limit on the number of characters that can be stored
in your database datatype.

So it's not getting lost when you display it -- It never got into the
DB in the first place.

You may be able to re-configure your DB to change the limit for TEXT
(which I assume you are using) but there may also be a pre-existing
LONGTEXT which has an even higher limit, or you may need to go for a
BLOB which has an even higher limit (often the limit there is the size
of your hard drive).

Better than all of that, however, is to take a step back and consider
if cramming such a large chunk of data into your database is really
the correct solution.

Unless you are actually doing a DB search, sort, or other SQL
operation on that field, you would be better off storing it in a file
on the hard drive, and leaving the DB operations in the DB, and the
large-file operations in the highly-optimized, more mature, and
customized db solution specifically designed for large file
managements.  (aka, your file system)

It's also possible that your datatypes are correct, but the QUERY size
is limited.  This is unlikely given your description, but it's the
NEXT problem you are going to run into, and is even more tricky to
solve unless you have complete control over your environment
(dedicated servers).

You'll have to do more research about the database you are using --
and further questions in this arena really belong on that database's
mailing list, rather than here, as PHP is almost certainly not
involved, really, in the problem.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?