Foldable Checkbox lists

Hello Gurus,

Newbie to PHP here.  I have a list of categories, as checkboxes, that I
would like a user to be able to choose from.  There are literally
hundreds of categories, however most of them are children categories.  I
obviously don't want to display all of the categories at once to the
user as that would be unwieldy.  What I would like is for the user to
select the desired checkbox and then all the children categories would
display.  The categories are setup as follows:

Basketball and Football are the root categories.  Once one of these are
selected, it would be expand to show the conferences and once the
conference is selected it would expand to show the teams.

Example:

Basketball

            ACC

            Big 10