RE: Getting mysql_query results into an array

> > How about scenario #3: I wish to output my data in (for example)
> > three columns, as a phone book does. To make the example simple,
> > assume 15 data points. I wish the output to look like
> >
> > 1       6        11
> > 2       7        12
> > 3       8        13
> > 4       9        14
> > 5      10        15
> >
> > So when I'm outputting row 1, I need data points 1, 6, and 11. Isn't
> > it easier to generate the query, put in array, and output the rows
> > from the array? Keep in mind, the number of data points might be
> > variable, the constraints being n columns with approximately the same
> > number of data point in each column.
>

> Instead of creating a whole array, why not just move the pointer of the
> result set?  Like so (the example prints rows in reverse order):
>
> http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-data-seek.php

Another solution to the example above would be something like this:

      <?
      $i=0;
      for($j=1;$j<=15;$j++){
        ?><tr><td><?= $j ?></td></tr><?
        $i++;
        if($i==5){
          $i=0;
        }
      }
      ?>

The result is a table with 3 cells, each cell containing a table with 5
rows.  The iterator closes the table and cell, and starts a new one every 5
records.  A bit of tweaking and some additional logic could make it dynamic.

:B