Re: Multi lingual pages

At 2:19 PM -0500 2/9/07, Robert Cummings wrote:

> Yes, of course. Maintaining such a site without rewriting urls would
be a nightmare. When I said that those sites are "redirecting" users, I was thinking about response headers.

Why do you need to rewrite URLs?

Cheers,
Rob.

Forgive me, I've seemed to have lost the direction of this thread with respect to the subject line. If what you are talking about is multilingual characters appearing in url's, then Rob is correct to question.

URL's are currently (and have been for several years) multilingual. The IDNS WG developed PUNYCODE to do 7-bit to 8-bit encoding to include all Unicode code points.

If you are running Windows/Opera 9 or Mac/Safari, you can see multilingual characters actually appear in the URL -- like this for example:

xn--w4h.com

However, for most browsers, the fear of homographic attack has forced them show PUNYCODE instead.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------