Re: base64-encoding in cookies?

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 15:23 -0600, Fletcher Mattox wrote:
> Robert Cummings writes:

> > > I don't mean to be thick, Jon, but I don't understand why it has to be
> > > encoded at all.  Are you saying that the "path=/path/" has to be encoded?
> > > Well, ok (I don't entirely understand that either), but why encode
> > > the "val"?  "val" can be arbitrary data and shoud be left uninterpreted,
> > > in my opinion.
> >
> > If val can be any value then it can also be:
> >
> >     expires=time; path=/path/
> >
> > Obviously, that would be an issue since that's part of the cookie
> > parameters. As such, it needs to be encoded. Now go away!
> >
> > :)
>
> I would argue that if someone were to embed these parameters inside
> a cookie's "value" parameter, then they lose all rights to the original
> semantics.  But this is getting silly.
>
> I find it interesting that nobody has been able to cite a standard
> or even point to documentation of this "feature".

Dear numnutz, get off your lazy arse and read the doc for yourself:

    http://wp.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html

It clearly states:

    NAME=VALUE
This string is a sequence of characters excluding semi-colon, comma and
white space. If there is a need to place such data in the name or value,
some encoding method such as URL style %XX encoding is recommended,
though no encoding is defined or required.

There, it left the encoding up to whoever is decoding it. Now feel free
to take your troll ass and hide under a bridge someplace.

Cheers,
Rob.