Re: base64-encoding in cookies?

Robert Cummings writes:

> On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 13:51 -0600, Fletcher Mattox wrote:
> > Jon Anderson writes:
> >
> > > Cookies must be encoded somehow: Because a raw cookie will contain
> > > "var=val; expires=time; path=/path/" type stuff, PHP would *have* to
> > > encode it.
> >
> > I don't mean to be thick, Jon, but I don't understand why it has to be
> > encoded at all.  Are you saying that the "path=/path/" has to be encoded?
> > Well, ok (I don't entirely understand that either), but why encode
> > the "val"?  "val" can be arbitrary data and shoud be left uninterpreted,
> > in my opinion.
>
> If val can be any value then it can also be:
>
>     expires=time; path=/path/
>
> Obviously, that would be an issue since that's part of the cookie
> parameters. As such, it needs to be encoded. Now go away!
>
> :)

I would argue that if someone were to embed these parameters inside
a cookie's "value" parameter, then they lose all rights to the original
semantics.  But this is getting silly.

I find it interesting that nobody has been able to cite a standard
or even point to documentation of this "feature".

Fletcher