Re: include file identifier

On Mon, February 5, 2007 10:09 am, Craige Leeder wrote:
> On 2/5/07, Richard Lynch <ceo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> If you want to avoid the overhead of include_once, it's a pretty
>> common practice (borrowed from C .h files) to do:
>
> Just out of curiosity, how much additional overhead are we talking
> about?

What version of PHP are we talking about?

In its early days, it was very expensive, particularly if your
code-base grew very large...

Later, it was only expensive if your client was doing something whack
like dynamically including hundreds of file snippets.  (Don't ask.)

These days, I would hazard a guess that it's as optimized as it can
be, really, but you'd have to test and read source to be sure.

Note that in all cases, the performance issue kicked in when you were
including LOTS of different files, as the search space for what was
already included grew.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?