Re: Server Stall

On Mon, February 5, 2007 11:42 am, Sancar Saran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of my scripts are using wget to get external xml data
>
> $fp = popen ("wget -O - '".$dst."' | cat","r");
>
> Some time $dst host responds very slowly. And that time if I open
> another
> connection to same server the second request waits to complete wget
> operation.
>
> I'm very noobie about this file operations. Is there any suggestion
> about this
> situation ?

If you are trying to open multiple streams in a single PHP script in
parallel, you want http://php.net/stream_select

If you are just testing it with another script, and they are both
taking a long time, that just means that $dst is slow right now.

I would also suggest that you pull out the wget part and put it into a
cron job, and then let PHP use the most recent download from wget
that's available.  That way, your script isn't sitting around waiting
for a slow download.  It just runs at max speed on the local file
which is the most recent download available.  It sounds bassackwards,
but ends up being a much easier solution, as well as a better user
experience, and more maintainable, as you've pulled the whole wget
mess out of the PHP script and modularized it.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?