Reading from the htpasswd file

Hey,

*** Warning: feeling a bit braindead today after working long hours yesterday so please excuse if some parts are crappy***

I have a pal who uses a htpasswd file for access to his site..

rather than using basic_auth he wants to change it to form based _without_ a DB (ie user comes to his site and enters the username and password into a form, then submits it to the php script, the php script reads the htpasswd file and accordingly grants access or denies access if the login does not match)

Am not so sure about this but before i can make an arguement against this, I should know something myself so my questions to you more knowledgeable guys are:
1. Is it such a good idea switching?
2.Wont the basic_auth pop up anyway even after entering these values into the form?
3. If having a hundreds (or even thousands) of user:pass combinations in the htpasswd file.... wont it make logging in longer and more processor intensive to search all of the combinations till you find (or not find) the login?

Did some small code experiments before coming here asking for advise...
can send you the code I have written if need be...but what i have found out is with small amounts of data i see no difference in speed of loggin in using the htpasswd file as the "login database"..

Thanks for any input on the above.

Cheers!

------
- The faulty interface lies between the chair and the keyboard.
- Creativity is great, but plagiarism is faster!
- Smile, everyone loves a moron. :-)

 Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.