Re: Ongoing encoding issues

On Fri, January 26, 2007 7:24 am, Jochem Maas wrote:
> Dave Goodchild wrote:
> that said you should probably opt to output everything as UTF-8 - all
> decent
> browsers will return data in the same encoding as the page was given
> to them in
> by default - this requires you to have php send the correct header
> (don't
> bother with all that META tag crap), doing the following will
> automatically cause
> the appropriate header to be sent:

*Do* bother with the META tag crap.

MS IE will ignore the headers and attempt to "guess" the charset
otherwise, based on some funky algorithm they've made up to compare
the bytes in the HTML to what they "expect" for any given charset, and
you'll get weird and confusing cases when the same "page" won't be
UTF-8 just because the data within it suddenly tips over their
count-point of what "should" be in a UTF-8 or Latin-1 document.

Don't blame me -- I'm just reporting the behaviour.  Talk to Bill.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?