Re: Suggestions of GPL plugin-system?

Ivo F.A.C. Fokkema wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've been developing a GPL PHP/MySQL app for some time now and I would
> like to extend it with a module/plugin system. The idea would be that
> people could add a directory in a plugin path that would contain a
> bunch of PHP files extending the functionality of my application. This
> directory would then be read out, some config file parsed and whatnot,
> after which the module can be turned on by my application.
>
> Now, I could try and figure this out by myself, but that would be
> reinventing the wheel since I'm betting there is some good GPL modular
> software around (such as Joomla, PHP-Nuke, PHPbb, etc, etc.) that you have
> been working with as a coder. Could any of you suggest a certain GPL
> application that has a great module setup that I could take a look at?

By far and away the nicest modular installer system I have ever seen is
that included in Gallery2 (http://gallery.menalto.com/).

It handles nicely fresh installs, upgrades and other such things.

I've never coded with it, so don't know what it's like to rip out and
use in other applications, but I think I recall reading a while back
that they were designing it to be easy to use it in this way.

I've used Joomla a lot and while I really like it as a CMS, the current
(1.0.x) stable series has a shocking system for modules etc. Quite often
there is no easy way to upgrade which is a real PITA. I think the 1.5
beta goes some way to resolve this tho' (I certainly hope so!).

So my advice would be to check out Gallery2 and see where that goes.

Best of luck

Col.