Re: Multi lingual pages

Paul Novitski wrote:

I formulated my question in general since I couldn't find an other message here about supporting multiple languages.

http://www.w3.org/International/articles/

http://www.w3.org/TR/i18n-html-tech-lang/

http://php.net/setlocale

Thanks a lot, these are good points for reading.

1) Switching language downloads a new version of the current page, generally with the same markup but new text. Example:
http://partcon.ca/

I'll favor this way especially if several languages have to be provided.

In both cases I store the text in database tables that contain a language field I can select on to match the user's request.

I wonder if retrieving static texts from the database draws too much performance. I know from somebody who stores texts in large data arrays an uses shared memory, yet I haven't figured it out how.

I consider storing static texts as defines and just load a different definition file when the user switches language. Is this practical?

O. Wyss