Re: most powerful php editor

On Wed, January 24, 2007 8:07 pm, Robert Cummings wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 18:23 -0600, Richard Lynch wrote:
>> On Wed, January 24, 2007 7:41 am, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
>> > # sancar.saran@xxxxxxxxxx / 2007-01-24 13:57:03 +0200:
>> >
>> > Number of reading errors people make grows with line length,
>> > this has been known for as long as I remember.  You're increasing
>> the
>> > probability of bugs in the code, and get tired sooner because
>> > following
>> > long lines requires more energy.
>>
>> I believe those results are specific to what is being read.
>>
>> Surely it's easier to read:
>>
>> SELECT blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah
>>
>> if it's all on one line, no matter how many fields there are, while
>> trying to read the code as a whole.
>>
>> Sure, it can be "hard" to find/read the individual field names, on
>> the
>> rare occasion that you need to do that...
>
> Dear Mr Lynch, normally I highly respect your commentary on the list,
> but today I think you've been-a-smoking the crackpipe a tad too much.
>
> There is no way in hell one long line of SQL is easier to read than
> formatted SQL that clearly delineates the clause structure.
>
> SELECT A.field1 AS afield1, A.field2 AS afield2, B.field1 AS bfield1,
> B.field2 AS bfield2, C.field1 AS cfield1, C.field2 AS cfield2,
> D.field1
> AS dfield1, D.field2 AS dfield2 FROM tableA as A LEFT JOIN tableB AS B
> ON B.fee = A.foo LEFT JOIN tableC AS C ON C.fii = B.fee LEFT JOIN
> tableD
> AS D ON D.fuu = C.fii WHERE A.foo = 'someValue' ORDER BY afield1 ASC,
> cfield2 ASC
>
> The above line "should" be on one line, but my email client might
> autowrap it. Either way, the following is formatted and is much
> clearer.
>
> SELECT
>     A.field1 AS afield1,
>     A.field2 AS afield2,
>     B.field1 AS bfield1,
>     B.field2 AS bfield2,
>     C.field1 AS cfield1,
>     C.field2 AS cfield2,
>     D.field1 AS dfield1,
>     D.field2 AS dfield2
> FROM
>     tableA as A
>         LEFT JOIN tableB AS B ON
>             B.fee = A.foo
>         LEFT JOIN tableC AS C ON
>             C.fii = B.fee
>         LEFT JOIN tableD AS D ON
>             D.fuu = C.fii
> WHERE
>     A.foo = 'someValue'
> ORDER BY
>     afield1 ASC,
>     cfield2 ASC
>

> While the above is contrived, most of us know such examples happen
> quite
> often in the wild. Not only is it easier to read, but the task of
> adding
> or removing selected fields is trivial.

I meant ONLY the SELECT part on a single line.

Only a moron would cram the FROM and all that into the same line.
:-)

$query = "SELECT blah1, blah2, blah3, ... blah147 ";
$query .= " FROM table1 ";
$query .= " LEFT OUTER JOIN table2 ";
$query .= "    ON blah7 = blah42 ";
$query .= " WHERE blah16 ";
$query .= "   AND blah42 ";
$query .= " ORDER BY blah9, blah8 desc, blah6 ";

is what I go for.

The SELECT line is the only one that ever gets all that long, really...

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?