Re: most powerful php editor

# ceo@xxxxxxxxx / 2007-01-24 18:23:10 -0600:
> On Wed, January 24, 2007 7:41 am, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> > # sancar.saran@xxxxxxxxxx / 2007-01-24 13:57:03 +0200:
> >> and also in these days I'm looking for 19 inch (or more) wide LCD
> >> sceerns to able to fit longer lines in my screen...
> >
> > Number of reading errors people make grows with line length,
> > this has been known for as long as I remember.  You're increasing the
> > probability of bugs in the code, and get tired sooner because
> > following
> > long lines requires more energy.
>
> I believe those results are specific to what is being read.
>
> Surely it's easier to read:
>
> SELECT blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah

Not for me.

SQL is just another programming language, and I fail to see why
principles of programming hygiene shouldn't apply to it.

> Sure, it can be "hard" to find/read the individual field names, on the
> rare occasion that you need to do that...

Like, on the "rare" occasion that you need to find a bug in a program
with poor formatting.

> Assuming you actually planned your DB and queries out to fit your
> application needs in the first place.  I guess if you're coding in an
> unstructured iterative way to design the db, then, yeah, it would be
> harder on the eyes as you morph that statement into what it should
> be...
> :-v

That's a strong argument against indenting source code: all you need is
a solid design upfront!  Of course, if your queries sum up to blah,
blah, blah, it might not be worth designing them in the first place.

:-^

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.