Re: Encoding issue with £

23 jan 2007 kl. 18.55 skrev Dave Goodchild:

This may be more of a mysql issue, but I am using php for my app so here
goes...

I have a fee field in the database, and when users post events they can specify entrance fee in £. In some, not all, of the fields I am getting, for
example, £7 rather than £. Is this an encoding issue?

Many thanks in advance...

--
http://www.web-buddha.co.uk
Dave,

Maybe you already noticed that the first two letters of "£7" are the UTF8 encoded pound sign. But where the 7 is coming from, I do not know. Does the data come from a html form? A select list? Do you have a valid html encoding specified for your html code? I would begin by looking at the source where the data is coming from. In order to track the bug, maybe (temporarily) you could have a db where you would strore a var_dump on posted data together with a var_dump on $_SERVER. It might be possible as well to get some information about the users curent browser encoding by using some java script? This information might give you some help in narrowing down the source of your problem.

Otherwise, why not give your user predefined currencies to choose from? A simple select list would do the trick.

//frank