Re: email validation string.

# dreasi0n.php.net@xxxxxxxxx / 2007-01-19 15:43:32 +0000:

> >>I have a regular expression tester plugin in firefox and it validates
> >>Ok with the expression he provided.
> >>
> >JavaScript is *not* PHP.
>
> As far as I can read, I never talked about JavaScript...
> Maybe the fact that I talked about a browser made you think I was
> using Java.  NO! I'm not. This is a php list and I gave my answer
> based on that.  This plugin I was talking about uses PHP/5.2.0

JavaScript is *not* Java. ;) But ok, sorry about the assumption.
Where can I check out the plugin?

> In either case... Aren't both expressions supposed to validate
> an e-mail??

PHP uses one of two sets of special characters depending on whether you
use single or double quotes, and leaves a single backslash preceeding a
non-special character intact.  PCRE removes backslashes if they're
followed by non-special characters (but see /X).

IOW, as opposed to PHP, PCRE will reduce \x to x for any x that's not
special.  Use \\x if you want \x.
PHP will, however, reduce \\x to \x, since \ is special.

Relying on PHP's behavior with ordinary-x \x in a PCRE introduces
another grammar to the mix.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.