Re: dynamic lists

On Jan 17, 2007, at 2:20 PM, Jochem Maas wrote:

Kevin Murphy wrote:

On Jan 17, 2007, at 1:39 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Blanchard [mailto:jblanchard@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 4:05 PM
To: Don; php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE:  dynamic lists

[snip]
By dynamic drop list I mean the type where the options
contained in the subsequent list depend on what was picked in
the previous list without clicking submit.
[/snip]

PHP is server side, you need to do this with AJAX or Javascript

Don,

There's a few different ways to do this.

#1) Submit the form (to itself) when a user chooses an option from the
first
list (using onChange=form.submit()) then with PHP query the database
for the
second set of options.

#2) Use JavaScript to store all the values and pop them in when the user chooses an option from the first list (using onChange=someFunction (...)).

I like #2. If you need a starting point, google for "javascript dynamic
select list"

Hope that helps,

Brad

FYI... Neither #1 or #2 are considered good practice for
Accessibility/ADA compliance. If you are using a keyboard or screen
reader to view your website, it will always pick the first one in the
list and you won't have the option of even seeing the rest of the list.
Basically, anything that uses onchange or onselect will cause
accessibility issues. The only way to accomplish this is using onclick
or submitting the form.

that stance basically negates everything 'ajax', flash, video and everything considered to be remotely 'web2.0' - is the 'low-common- denominator' case
always the correct choice?

I understand the importance of accessibility but the practicality of most peoples' job in this sector means satisfying the requirements of a client that demands such dynamic functionality such as the auto-selection example
given here.

is there not an argument that screen-reader and [braille] keyboard software are somwhat responsible for being capable of 'keeping up' - given that an
onclick can be handled why not an 'onchange' (in theory)?

Not saying I disagree with you..... which is why i tossed it out there as an FYI rather than anything else. But its something that you should be aware of when designing a site and weighing your options. For me, working for a governmental institution, I really don't have a choice. I can't throw anything into the website that has a negative ADA impact.... unless of course I have an alternate way of accomplishing the same thing.

And yes, there is an argument that screen-readers should keep up with the technology, and I totally agree with you..... but that's not reality. Target.com got sued recently for lack of ADA compliance on their website. The screen reading software company wasn't the one sued.

YMMV.

--
Kevin Murphy
Webmaster: Information and Marketing Services