RE: running exec() on client

> I'm guessing a bit but it sounds like inserting a stack of RAM will make
> the problem go away for the foreseable future.

I will ask.

> >> isn't it cheaper to install a dedicated server for your app?
> >> (rather than making you jump thru hoops, I mean AFAICT this is
> >> a core business activity.) an entry level windows server will set you
> >> back for the price of a few days work - seems to me to be a much more
> >> cost effective attack plan.
> >>
> > Unfortunately my bosses are pennypinching when it comes to these things,
> > though I will be asking - just in case.
>
> in which case he should understand that RAM is *a lot* cheaper
> than the days
> of work your going to be doing (on top of your normal activities), no?

> has rejected
> >> to find a way
> >> or winword on
> too great.
>
> what about PDF generation? no need for COM, should give you nice
> compact file
> sizes (as well as readonly docs) ... downside is the ammount of
> coding it would take
> ... then again your average penny-wise, pound-foolish PHB will
> probably see it as a
> cheaper alternative.

I do a lot of PDF building and that was my first suggestion, before we
looked at Word. My colleague rejected this on the grounds that publishers
wouldn't know what to do with them!

I think she is wrong. But I yielded on this point. You know what female
colleagues are like? (To any females on this list - you are all wonderful
people.)

> >> doing the letter
> >> esp as our IT
> >> what he allows and what you can actually do are 2 different thing. ;-)
> >>
> > Alas, my colleague often needs IT help, and the tecchie is 6 feet away
> > (literally), whereas I am 380 miles away, so any underhand
> activity by me is
> > bound to be noticed.

Cheers

George